The Repository Handshake/SONEX objective was firstly to identify and analyse deposit opportunities (use cases), which map on to different business processes from which there is prospect of prompting and assisting deposit of research papers (and potentially other scholarly work) into the repository space. These include processes within the repository space to alert and assist transfer/access across multiple repositories (in the use case of multiple Institutional Repositories). An incomplete list of other deposit opportunities include: institutionally-assisted deposit (typically from CRIS systems but also research group activity); grant-funded mandated deposit, with requirement for award referencing; deposit from publishers as OA services for authors; assisted deposit as part of desktop authoring applications).
Once a complete use case list was obtained, the work was to be focused on identificating the most interesting deposit opportunities in terms of populating repositories. This analysis should result in proposals for cooperative development and for implementation possibilities.
The following key use case scenarios were identified and associated with projects being already developed (or to be developed) by the institutions taking part in the workgroup. Participation in the use case development and implementation is open as well for other interested institutions:
• Use case nr 1, PI/author for multi-authored, multi-institution journal articles - related to Open Access Repository Junction (OA-RJ) Project at EDINA
• Use-case nr 2, CRIS systems as source of documents for IRs - KE's strand 'Exchanging Research Info'. There are also several ongoing institutional initiatives for CRIS/IR integration, such as those at the University of Glasgow or the Trinity College Dublin
• Use-case nr 3, Publisher as the source of articles - also related to the EDINA-JISC OA-RJ Project, as well as to European PEER Project
• Use-case nr 4, 'Our Bibliography' as source of references for IRs, meaning lists of publications supplied by individual researchers, research groups or departments
• [Potential extra] Use-cases nr 5 (Subject repositories) and 6 (Research evaluation agencies).
See a brief summary of the four main SONEX use cases/deposit opportunities at: http://repinf.pbworks.com/f/poster_SONEX_deposit_opportunities.pdf